Tips for the Socially Awkward
Those who are nervous to go to events. I get it. It’s not easy getting up the courage to talk to others. Here are some ways to make it easier.
- Do not over think what you are going to say to people
- Hang out around others you know and start side conversations with others as they enter the circle of conversation, become interested in new people around you
- Sometimes it takes small talk or funny comments, or thoughts to get the conversation going….
- Is this your first ” ___organization name____” event ? I havent seen you before…
- So what did you think of the “Main Event/Speaker”?
- Hey, are you from around here, I haven’t seen you before?
- Hey, I just moved to the area, are you also new here? I haven’t see you before.
- What kind of drink are you ordering!?
- Hey, What’s your #1 Bar or Lounge in the City? I just moved to the area and I am looking for a great place to go after work.
- If you are a Drinker, go to the bar area and as you wait in line, make small talk, same thing for any area of a party where you are waiting
- Try to walk around the room slowly & find people you dont know and try to introduce yourself to someone that makes eye contact with you especially if they smile at you.
- Bring a friend who is social to be a great wing-man/woman to help you find others to talk to
- Make sure to get enough sleep the day before, dont drink too much on any event, and remember, dress up and look sharp, it will increase your confidence. Get a haircut, get new clothes, shoes, etc. This will make you feel much more on your A Game for any event!
Just remember, we are all Jewish souls, and everyone wants to be respected and feel communicated with at an event, so do not feel embarrassed to talk to someone, they should be honored to be able to get to meet you! Find those that are not being chatted to, they love the idea that someone out of now where, is now talking to them!