The (Orthodox) Jewish Man’s Guide to dressing a bit better on a Date
About to go on a date with a fantastic woman you met through a Shadchan or a friend and now your stuck with the, “what should I wear question“? It’s time to use this check list to make sure your ready.
- The Look – Go to a man’s barber shop- let them groom you completely! You need your ears not to have hairs sticking out like a 90 year old grandpa. You need to make sure your hair and beard is perfect and a Man’s barber shop knows best. If they can wax your nose and ear, its amazing, do it. Don’t be scared!
- Shave your head — Bald is a cool look if your already balding
- Clean cut, preppy looks are ideal.
- Cologne – Find a good cologne that is not obnoxious, sweeter- Burberry/Viking or polo-red like smells are ideal.
- Shoes – don’t wear beat up dirty shoes.
- Dress code – Business Casual , do not overdress or under dress. Make sure you look sharp. Everyone looks sharp in their own way. If you wear tzizis, maybe use small size tzizis so they fit better under the other clothes or wear Jersey/t-shirt style tzizis under your clothes for the date for comfortability. Make sure your clothes are not wrinkled – so maybe press them, ay?
Here are some options of Dress Code:
- Polo + Designer Jeans
- Polo + Khakis
- Dress Shirt Untucked + Designer Jeans
- Dress Shirt tucked in with Slacks and Nice Belt
- Deodorant – do not use roll on or stick and forget to check for white on your shirt, etc. Be careful to wear deodorant that works, if your nervous about sweating, smell, etc.
- Breath, Nails & Hands – Make sure to brush teeth, mouthwash and chew gum before a date and have an extra piece in your pocket 😊. Do you have dirty hands or nails? Clean up Kid! Nail Biter – stop now and figure out a solution, it’s a huge turn off. We all do it, find ways to cut it down at the minimum.
- Always Be a Gentleman – Don’t drink much on a date or get too tipsy, don’t smoke and smell bad ahead of time, dont vape in front of a date, make sure to open doors and tip well, & overall be the best version of you!
Who knows how the conversation can go, but overall, a great vibe is crucial to maintain at all times. You can laugh, but many woman cant stand teeth, smell, finger nails biters, ungroomed men (outside of The Omer), those who dont tip, and the list goes on…so I hope the above 7 ideas help you all!